家work and Further Study is an important part of a school’s approach to help young people work, think, and learn on their own. Over a five year period regular homework would be equivalent to an extra year of education with consequent benefits.
Parental support is vital in seeing that home learning is done conscientiously and in the best possible conditions. 父母 are asked to co-operate by seeing that their child does the home learning carefully and by signing the diary. Every student is given a well-designed school diary at the beginning of each school year to help to plan the home learning.
The purposes of home learning are:
- To develop the ability to work alone.
- To be self-motivating and well organised.
- To develop the skills of researching, organising and presenting appropriate work on a given theme or topic to extend or prepare for classwork.
- To encourage the habit of reading.
- To develop the habit of regular work at home so that good routines are established in readiness to study for public examinations.
- To challenge each individual student with appropriate work.
How much time should be spent on 家 Learning?
- In Year 7 – around 30 minutes per subject each week
- In 8年 – around 40 minutes per subject each week
- In 今年9 – around 50 minutes per subject each week
- In 今年10/11 – a minimum of 1 hour per subject per week
- In 今年12/13 – a minimum of 3 hours per subject per week