The 地理 teachers here are all extremely passionate about their subject! Lessons are active and we make use of ICT regularly to keep learning as up-to-date as possible.
We love to enthuse our students as they develop their knowledge, skills and understanding and hope to create life-long learners. We have four specialist rooms, including one ICT suite. All our rooms have interactive whiteboards, DVD players and plentiful text books. They are great places to learn and are surrounded by displays that celebrate students’ work.
Challenging, but enjoyable learning is at the heart of our approach in 地理. Enquiry learning – investigating questions, scenarios and problems – is a great way to help students understand the world we live in.
What will you learn about?
- 学生们 will develop and extend their knowledge of locations, places, environments and processes, and of different scales including global; and of social, political and cultural contexts.
- 学生们 will gain understanding of the interactions between people and environments, change in places and processes over space and time, and the interrelationship between geographical phenomena at different scales and in different contexts.
- Students will develop and extend their competence in a range of skills including those used in fieldwork, in using maps and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and in researching secondary evidence, including digital sources; and develop their competence in applying sound enquiry and investigative approaches to questions and hypotheses. 学生们 will also learn and develop critical thinking skills.
- 学生们 will apply geographical knowledge, understanding, skills and approaches appropriately and creatively to real world contexts, including fieldwork, and to contemporary situations and issues; and develop well-evidenced arguments drawing on their geographical knowledge and understanding.
To be successful in this subject students will need to be good at and enjoy:
- learning more about the world we live in
- developing skills that will help you in other areas, such as IT and research
- completing some of your own practical work away from the classroom
- working in a team with other students
- learning through investigating and doing, as well as listening and reading
Progression routes & career opportunities:
Geography at Coopers’ Coborn enables pupils to develop powerful knowledge, understanding and skills. This enables our students to comprehend the connections between themselves, humanity, and with the planet on which we depend. By giving our pupils the opportunity to think geographically about the past and present, they are given the best education to be able to make decisions regarding possible futures. Employers and universities value the broad range of transferable skills that geography delivers. Geography fits neatly with science, arts and humanities, and geographers also tend to have very good IT skills. A GCSE in 地理 is excellent preparation for a career in planning, resource and countryside management, tourism and recreation and, environmental management and development. Many geographers also move into general management careers or branch out into journalism.
学生们 are set a wide variety of homework tasks from making 3D models, storyboards, and board games to writing detailed essays and newspaper articles.
Here at 库珀公司 and Coborn School we take every opportunity to take students out of school on field trips including UK residential visits for 今年9 Geography students and for A Level students (previous destinations have included Exmoor, Wales and the Lake District), and one day visits to Walton-on-the-Naze for GCSE and the Royal Geographical Society for A Level. 地理 teachers also lead trips overseas for awe and wonder purposes. Next on the list is Naples for 今年13 and Iceland for 今年11!